Vincent Lefevre said:
> On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 14:12:14 -0400, Michael Leone wrote:
>>
>> Vincent Lefevre said:
>> > No, the old messages will be marked as new, and I don't want that.
>>
>> You don't want them marked as old and unread; you don't want them to
>> stay marked as new (which implies unread), if you exit and restart
>> mutt. What do you want, then?
>
> I want 4 levels (in the same mailbox, to get the benefit of threading):
>   1) Messages that mustn't be deleted.
>   2) Messages I've read but I want to keep for some time.
>   3) Messages I've read or partly read which I need to read again
>      (e.g. because I need to reply or to look at a URL or whatever).

Well, mutt can't know that you want to read them again. :-) To mutt, it's
read. Whether you want to keep it or not, or want to reply later, is your
decision. And so you've flagged them.

>   4) Really new messages.
>
> So I use:
>   1) flagged read
>   2) read
>   3) old (or flagged old)
>   4) new

I'm still not understanding where the problem is.

You get new mail; it's flagged as "new". You exit mutt. You restart mutt.
The message is still flagged as "new" (presuming that you unset mark_old
in your .muttrc). Have you not picked up exactly where where you left off,
before you exited mutt? The messages that were flagged as new (meaning
unread) are still flagged that way, aren't they? Or are you saying that
their status has changed in some other way?

You wanted unread mail to still show as unread, even if you exit and
restart mutt, or am I misunderstanding what you want?

Member, LEAF Project <http://leaf.sourceforge.net>    AIM: MikeLeone
Public Key - <http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.asc>

            ( Memoriam )
 ============;===========;============()
             # # # #::::::
             # # # #::::::
             # # # #::::::
             # # # #::::::
             # # # # # # #

Random Thought:
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
                -- William Pitt, 1783