* Chris Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [17-10-2002 17:36]:

> > Apart from what would be the use of this, you shouldn't "exec" the
> > macro (because exec applies to functions only, as the error message
> > says), but you should "push" the key sequence.
> >
> ... quote from manual - "``exec function'' is equivalent to ``push
> <function>''."  I certainly found this a bit confusing as it (at least
> initially) seems to imply that exec is an alias for push.  I now
> understand exec is specifically for functions.  However one then has
> to ask - what is the point of exec?

I agree that it might be confusing, initially. Push is more powerfull,
since you can execute both functions and keystroke (macro's)
sequences. Exec is limited to functions only.

Quote from Michael Elkins on mutt-dev:

<quote>
[...] the exec command is quite similar to the push command.  What
exec does is push a simulated keystroke onto the input stack.  To wit:

push '<change-folder>'
exec change-folder

Have exactly the same effect, both from a user perspective and from an
internal point of view.
</quote>

My guess is that exec was present, and then the need for something
more powerfull arose, and push was introduced. But I may be mistaking.

--
René Clerc                      - ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

There is a definite parallel between shots of tequila and a woman's breasts.
One is not enough and three are too many.