* Derek Martin [2007.03.14 19:30]:
> I consider this to be utterly and completely
> broken, and I'm considering reporting it as a
> bug, but I'm waiting to see what other people
> think.

>From my limited understanding, when a message is
mime-encoded, the *whole body* is a set of
attachments, including what you refer to as the
body, which is the part you composed before
sending the message.

So when you set mime_forward=yes, it's
*consistent* to put the body of the original
message as an attachment. I agree it's annoying,
because we, as users, distinguish between the body
and the attachments. But, and again if I'm wrong
somebody correct me, mime doesn't make that
distinction.

So the behavior you (and I) want is actually a
special case where you want the *first* attachment
to be quoted but not the others, regardless of
their mime type.

Note that the behavior is perfectly ok when the
attachments are not of type text/*. I guess what
we need is a bit of control into the "heuristics"
mutt uses to determine whether or not to quote
the message when forwarding/replying.

Note also that mutt is not *always* consistent.
For example when in the attach menu, if there are
multiple text attachments and I press "e" to edit
the message, I get only the part I composed. Not
the text attachments.

I agree with Gary this is not a bug, but would be
a nice feature.

--
JR