On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 12:51:55PM -0400, Jean-Rene David wrote:
> * Derek Martin [2007.03.14 19:30]:
> > I consider this to be utterly and completely
> > broken, and I'm considering reporting it as a
> > bug, but I'm waiting to see what other people
> > think.
>
> From my limited understanding, when a message is
> mime-encoded, the *whole body* is a set of
> attachments, including what you refer to as the
> body, which is the part you composed before
> sending the message.

It's not the encoding that I care about... it's the behavior of Mutt
as I'm responding to the mail.  When READING a mime-encoded message,
mutt essentially treats the first plain text attachment as the message
body, and does the right thing.  However, when FORWARDING such a
message, it does not treat this same attachment as a message body that
you can respond to.  How it gets encoded after I'm done with it is
really irrelevant to me.  The second issue is that it actually does
include the HEADERS of the message in the editable body, along with
the usual ---forwarded message--- blah blah... but it does not include
the actual message body.

I think that's definitely a bug, on both counts.  If you're not going
to give me the original body, what possible reason would I have for
wanting the headers in the body?   Including them goes against every
reasonable standard for how to quote e-mail messages...

If you're not sure what I mean, send yourself a message with
attachments, and put something in the body.  Then set mime_forward,
and forward the message to yourself, and look at the message you get.
I can't see any use case for the results being desirable.  it's just
plain yucky.  CCing mutt-dev, since it seems this discussion needs to
go there instead of here.  Please REMOVE mutt-users if you reply.

Thanks

-=-=-=-=-