On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 10:06:12AM -0600, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> On Friday, May 18 at 11:54 AM, quoth Jeff Macdonald:
> >> is that it's one of these anti-spam measures that only work until
> >> it gets widespread enough for spammers to decide to do something
> >> about it (they own enough always-on Windows spam-bots after all,
> >> it's not like they're too short on resources; not retrying is just
> >> laziness on their part).
> >
> > Having to queue messages should end up using the 'owned' box's disk
> > space and slow down the sending rate. I would hope that would draw
> > attention to the owner of the box.
>
> HEH, I think that's probably wishful thinking. When I think about my
> grandmother, who uses the computer to type up the occasional letter

Spammers will not adapt to greylisting until they absolutely must.
Greylisting makes them behave like a real mail servers, which cuts down
the send rate, which makes it less profitable and more difficult. Even
if they all adapt, the economics have still changed. Reducing their
margin is a good thing. :)

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/