On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 05:03:23PM +0200, Kai Grossjohann wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 12:57:10AM +0200, Kai Grossjohann wrote:
>
> > I used to use Gnus which is a newsreader at heart.  Therefore the method
> > to organize mail in folders ("groups" in Gnus-speak) was different from
> > what I think I need with Mutt.
> >
> > I'd like to get some ideas from you how you organize your mail.
>
> Thank you for all your suggestions how I might achieve the old behavior
> with Mutt that I had with Gnus.  They are very useful.  But it's not
> what I was looking for, that would be continuing war^H^H^HGnus with
> other means.
>
> What I'm looking for is some suggestions on how else I might organize my
> mail, that fits more with what Mutt offers.  I think most of you face
> the same basic situation as I do:
>
>   - Receive personal mail and mailing list mail.
>
>   - Have different strategies for handling mail depending on the address
>     they were sent to (some mailing lists are less important than most
>     personal mail, so we don't check for new mail there as often).
>
>   - Want to archive a large portion of mail.
>
>   - Want to have an overview of messages that still need action of some
>     type.
>
>   - Don't want the archive to interfere (too much) with this overview.
>
> Right?  So what do you do?

My approach is basically as follows:-

    Incoming mail is sorted into mailboxes corresponding to mailing
    lists, personal mail and one or two other places.

    I use the mailboxes command in my muttrc to get mutt to flag
    incoming mail, with the more important mailboxes earlier in the
    list.

    I have to admit that I delete most incoming mail.  Messages that I
    want to keep I save in a separate hierarchy from the incoming mail
    which can be archived etc. as required.

--
Chris Green