On 2007-07-11, Angel Olivera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed 11.Jul.07 09:21, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> [snip]
>> I also have an fcc-hook set so that mail I send to mailing lists is not
>> saved (instead, I receive copies from the lists, so that I know it was
>> successfully posted).
>
> Our setup is almost identical, with this exception. I am currently saving
> my outgoing messages in my "Sent" folder, which is huge and I have to
> archive into a bzipped mbox in order for it not to become a problem. Why I
> do this is because if my message gets sent out but for some reason never
> reaches the mailing list, then I have to retype it instead of resending it.
> I would love to only save in my Sent maildir those messages addressed to
> non-mailing lists, though.
>
> So the question is: how do you cope with these situation so that
> disappearing MLmessages don't have to be written all over again?
>
> (Yes, this is very unfrequent. But when it happens it is a major drag.)

By default, copies of all my outgoing messages are saved to one
"Sent" folder.  However, I have fcc-save-hooks for all my common
recipients, so most of my outgoing messages are copied to individual
folders, one for each recipient, or group of recipients, or project.

For mailing lists, I have a ~/Mail/Incoming/ directory into which a
procmail-like MDA delivers all incoming mailing-list messages, one
mbox per mailing list.  I also have a ~/Mail/Lists/ directory into
which I save copies of all outgoing messages to lists, again one
mbox per mailing list, using fcc-save-hooks.  For this list, for
example:

   fcc-save-hook '~t "mutt-users"' +Lists/mutt-users

For monitoring incoming mail, I usually run two instances of mutt:
one for my default mailbox and one for mailing lists.  I use macros
to set 'mailboxes' appropriately for each instance.

HTH,
Gary