Does anyone have a solution for viewing multipart/related messages where
the main part is text/html which references the other parts which are
typically images?

I envision something that saves all parts of separate files in a temp
directory, then either tweaks the filenames so that the links from the
HTML work automatically, or tweaks the links in the HTML so that they
point to the files just written, then invokes Firefox on the result.

(For added credit, one of my mail systems is remote, where I would
rather download the whole temp directory (as a zip file, say), then
invoke Firefox on the local machine.)

tia,
Kai