Steve S <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm doing that too, with getmail and a cronjob.

Nice to hear :).

> The problem is not that mail doesn't download to my machine, but that mutt, if
>
> * it is open all the time
> * showing the file browser (when invoked with `mutt -y`)
> * no key is pressed
>
> doesn't show the 'N' flag for folders (mailboxes) which have new mail after
> $timeout seconds as it should (it should, right? :). It does that only if I
>
> a) go to some mailbox and then back to the browser (which is the event "a key
>    is pressed" and mutt checks for new mail if I understand correctly)
>
> b) invoke the <check-new> function manually.

Pardon me for being late to this discussion.  Have you set `mail_check` to a
non-default value in your .muttrc (or system-wide Muttrc) file?  Or how about
`timeout`?  The default for that is 10 minutes -- have you tried waiting that
long to see if mutt identifies new mail?

Charles
Charles Cazabon             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Software, consulting, and services available at http://pyropus.ca/