On Wednesday, October  8 at 01:37 PM, quoth Indi:
> I have been using mutt without trouble on OS X for several weeks
> until today, when suddenly I got "/var/mail/$username is not a
> mailbox". What on earth happened?

Sounds like your mailspool got corrupted (or transformed into an mbox
format that mutt doesn't understand). There are several different mbox
formats, all of which are mutually incompatible. Mutt understands
three of them. If you somehow got a new program delivering mail to
your mailspool that is writing a new and probably incompatible mbox
format, that could make mutt unable to understand your mailspool file.
For details on some of the different formats, check here:
http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/mail-mbox-formats.html

Note, near the bottom, the problems of incompatibilities:

     - Delivering messages to "mboxcl2" format mailboxes with "mboxo"
       or "mboxrd" tools will corrupt the mailbox, rendering all
       subsequently delivered messages irretrievable.

Mutt attempts to convert from mboxo and mboxrd format into mboxcl
format.

Generally, this is one of the general problems with mbox mailboxes
(i.e. mailspools): everyone has a different idea of how to store
messages in that file. The *best* thing to do, as a general rule, is
to use mutt to move messages OUT of the mailspool and into a mailbox
in your home directory somewhere, that only mutt uses. That way you
can be assured that other programs, that might have a different idea
of how to store  messages, won't corrupt it. Mutt tries to make this
easy by allowing you to specify a $spoolfile and an $mbox to store
read messages in. Personally, I prefer not using a centralized
mailspool like that, but it's really up to you.

> I have Googled this extensively and found no useful answer, so have
> been forced to revert to claws-mail for an MUA -- arrgh!

Claws-mail can read the mailspool file? Hmm... I doubt it's doing it
correctly...

Anyway, you can attempt to fix the corrupted file by hand, using a
text editor. Or you could try to use Claws-mail to save the messages
elsewhere, which should enable mutt to read them in their new
location.

~Kyle
- --
Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but
rather division: For henceforth there shall be five in one house
divided, three against two, and two against three. The father shall be
divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother
against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother
in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against
her mother in law.
                       -- Prince of Peace, Jesus Christ (Luke 12:51-53)