On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 8:19 PM, Kyle Wheeler<kyle-m...@memoryhole.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 11 at 07:41 PM, quoth Patrick Gen Paul:
>>Does anyone know why this is happening, and how I can work around it?
>
> I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head: his "From:" header
> is invalid. Mutt can see that it's invalid, and so refuses to trust
> it. As I see it, mutt is behaving defensively. But more specifically,
> several of those characters are invalid in email addresses, which
> demonstrates that the header does not contain trustworthy data.
>
> Since mutt cannot trust the From header, and thus cannot properly
> decode that header, it cannot *use* that header. So mutt treats the
> message almost as if it didn't have that header.
>
> For a metaphor: if you were in a restaurant and found something that
> shouldn't be there (e.g. a screw) in the sauce on the dish you
> ordered, what would you do? Would you just take the screw out, assume
> that the sauce is fine, and continue eating? Or would you choose not
> to eat the sauce? Mutt, like you, chooses not to eat the sauce.
>
> Make sense?

In a roundabout way, as you probably intended.

I'm mostly trying to build some form of argumentation that may
convince this annoying poster to mend his ways.

Is there a well-respected mail etiquette, or RFC even, that I could
refer him to?

I have contacted the poster via the list and asked him to contact me
off-list to discuss further but he has not responded yet.

I'm giving him another 24 hours before I killfile him for good.

Thank you for your comments, much appreciated.

Gen-Paul