On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 10:27:20PM -0400, Thomas Baker wrote:
> If I am reading an important thread in mutt and need to put that
> thread into my to-do list, I save it as a file, e.g.:
>
>     2009-09-03.mutt-rxvt-configuration.mbox
>
> I run a shell script to add a reference to that file to the
> to-do list in my browser, e.g. the clickable:

> I can move email files around just like any another
> data .doc or .xls files, and I can archive the email for a
> project together with all the other data files.

You might want to consider switching to Maildir.

Maildir uses a small directory structure (name, name/cur,
name/new, name/tmp) to hold messages as individual files.

The advantages are:

- reading/writing/moving/deleting messages is faster than opening an
  mbox, looking for the right message, editing it, then
  rewriting the whole mbox.

- grep returns individual messages, not an mbox to search
  through

- safe for multiple opens of the same Maildir simultaneously

- safe to use over NFS or Samba or what-have-you

- safe for MTA's to deliver to

The disadvantages are:

- it's not exactly what you are used to.

- reading a giant Maildir may be slower than reading a giant
  mbox.

Mutt supports Maildir very well.

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.