On Sun, Sep 06, 2009 at 07:27:54PM -0500, Derek Martin wrote:
> As a compromise between this and the 10x18 font, you might try this
> instead:
>
>   xterm -fn '-*-fixed-bold-*-*-*-18-*-*-*-*-*-*-*'

Thank you, Derek!

> If you like that, you can replace your XTerm.font resource line with
> one that uses this one.  It's slightly smaller than the 10x20 font,
> but it is bolded and quite legible.  I think this font also somewhat
> resembles the Windows 10x18 console font, but YMMV.  Also note that
> you could have different fonts installed than I do (though that's
> somewhat unlikely I suppose, for Cygwin/X installs).

I'm running rxvt because it does not require me to start Xwindows
(which looks not-so-nice in its Cygwin incarnation).

Alas, the font resulting from

    rxvt -fn '-*-fixed-bold-*-*-*-18-*-*-*-*-*-*-*'

looks much different, with
l o t s  o f   s p a c e   b e t w e e n   l e t t e r s... :-(

Mutt runs fine with rxvt, but it runs with default colors, so
that double- and triple-quoted material is is white or yellow,
which is almost impossible to read against the grey.  A quick
scan of the man pages and Websites for rxvt did not reveal any
obvious global fix (such as --color=never for ls).

I tried editing .Xdefaults to change all colors except white
into black, but that messes up mutt, which opens showing me
entirely black menu and index lines.  When I have some time,
I'll try to find the where the mappings of X colors to features
of mutt are defined...

> In fact, I quite like this font myself.  It even seems that when I
> view mail in Korean with the Unicode version of this font, the Korean
> characters are displayed properly, which comes as a bit of a surprise.
> I might switch to it as my every-day font.

That could be useful, as I exchange quite a bit of mail with Korea
(though not in Korean).

Tom

--
Tom Baker <tba...@tbaker.de>