My gmail account contains more than 40000 message inside in-box.  When
mutt started to connect and fetch email headers into cache, it took
and a long time and finally failed.

I then used thunderbird imap to connect to it.  It also failed _but_
if I clicked again it continued to download the remaining messages.
It encountered several errors and it needed human intervention to
click and to resume fetch email header again.

I suspect it is network soft errors or gmail impose restriction to
prevent abuse by limiting the number of email download during a
session.  It reported an error code of 800ccc0f to thunderbird, but
thunderbird can resume download as described in the above.

On the contrary mutt imap cache apparently cannot resume from error,
so that I can never download cache successfully (I've tried for nearly
10 times already).  Can this be improved?

--
regards,
GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24