On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 10:42:48PM +0100, Jeffrey Ratcliffe wrote:

> What is the advantage of running mutt within emacs?

Short answer:
You don't have to navigate to Emacs (server) when editing a message.

Longer answer:
I have my Mutt editor set to "emacsclient" and I have Emacs' server
running.  If I were to edit a message in a non-Emacs environment I'd
have to travel to Emacs to modify the message.  So, if I run screen I
would change to the screen that Emacs was running on, if I am in a GUI
environment I'd need to switch to a different window.

If you have your mutt editor set to "emacs" then there's no need to do
any of this, Emacs should pop up when you edit a message.  But then, you
could have multiple copies of Emacs running, whereas with the
server/client arrangement there is only one instance of Emacs.  There
should also be a time savings in opening a client versus a new instance
of Emacs.

--
Monte