Hi Nathan

> Was the Mutt on the FreeBSD machine linked with slang, while the Mutt on
> the other machines using ncurses?  (You can tell by looking at the first
> few lines of the output from "mutt -v".)

mutt on my FreeBSD machine is definitely compiled with ncurses; ncurses
5.6.20080503 to be precise. mutt on the other UNIX machines also use ncurses.

> What is the setting of $TERM just before you start Mutt?

The $TERM environment variable on my Mac is set to xterm-color; at present, I
do not have X11 installed on my FreeBSD machine so it's just the default:
cons25. (Not sure if that would make a difference?)

Jamie.