I finally got around to upgrading from a crufty build of 1.5.18 to
1.5.20 (hg HEAD from 30 June 2010) .  I run mutt on a Mac and use this
line in mailcap to handle any HTML MIME parts:

text/html; cat > /tmp/mutt.html\;open /tmp/mutt.html

When I message had an HTML part I wanted to view, I'd hit "v", select
the HTML part, hit return, and this usage of Mac OS's "open" command
would open a new tab in Safari.

I no longer get that behavior in 1.5.20.  Instead I get this error:

  [-- text/html is unsupported  --]

  Key is not bound.  Press '?' for help.

If I add "copiousoutput" to the mailcap entry, 1.5.20 behaves
similarly to 1.5.18, except that mutt now automatically and sometimes
unexpectedly (to me) calls "open", sending focus to Safari when I
don't necessarily expect it.  I'd prefer the older behavior if there's
any way to get it back.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt