Here's a suggestion.

When viewing my mail folders (in browser), they usually run off screen as I
accumulate lots
of email.  New email is marked at the folder level (browser) with "N" next to
the folder
name with new email.  If I enter a folder, and think I've read all the email
and leave the folder, the "N" is removed from the folder, and any new email
off-screen - because the folder is viewed as a thread is now marked old ("O")
and I can see I could likely skip these unless I scroll down the screen to
check for any follow-up email sent to an old thread.

How about an option to mark folders with an "O" on folder (browser) view
containing old
email (email not marked as read -- aka forgotten/overlooked emails)?

Or is this already there?

Looks to me, mark old only happens in (email) index view.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/