Grant Edwards wrote:
> Leo Vegoda <l...@bind.org> wrote:
> > Todd Hesla wrote:
> >>
> >> Thanks for your reply.  I guess this would work, in principle.
> >> However, I think it would involve quite a bit of keyboarding/mousing
> >> to massage the original long comma-separated list of addresses into
> >> multiple Bcc headers.  Is there, perhaps, a build parameter that can
> >> be reset to increase the 5000 character limit, so I can just paste
> >> the long list into a single Bcc header (without anything getting
> >> stripped off)?
> >
> > You should be prepared for mail servers to reject a message with 300
> > recipients in Bcc. The minimum required in the standard is 100
> > and servers are entitled to reject when more are specified:
>
> That's an SMTP limitation, right?
>
> I take it mutt does not handle a messsage with a large number of
> recipients by breaking up the send operation into multiple SMTP or
> sendmail transactions each of which only attempts to specify 100
> recipients?
>
> [IMO, mutt is simply the wrong tool for doing mass-emailing, so I'm
> not faulting mutt for not handling messages with >100 recipients.]

I worked this out for an emergency mass-mailing, it worked well.
Sendmail sends individual messages, in this case with a Bcc: having
just under 825,000 characters. Note that the message text must be
terminated properly (a dot "." on a line by itself).

 cat message.txt | /usr/sbin/sendmail -f"j...@example.edu" \
   -F"John Doe" -t -OMaxHeadersLength=820000

This _might_ be a useless use of cat, mea culpa.
--
Charles Polisher