On Mon, 02 May 2011 at 20:52:29 +0200, Toby Cubitt wrote:
> On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 02:17:26PM +0200, Jose M Vidal wrote:
> > No way: just set the caching just for headers, but the response is
> > still very slow.  Any other clue I can follow?
>
> I use offlineimap with mutt, and found that switching to a maildir
> containing of the order of 10,000 emails was a somewhat slow (taking
> perhaps a minute or so), even with maildir header caching configured.

> I recompiled mutt with tokyo-cabinet support (which allows mutt to use
> a tokyo cabinet database for the backend header-cache database), and
> opening the same maildir now takes a couple of seconds at most.

For reference, mutt (1.5.20) on my machine currently takes 11 seconds to
open my offlineimap'd Gmail 'All Mail' folder which contains 17,418
messages.  It then takes a further 6 seconds to close the mailbox, write
any changes, and then switch back to my Inbox (for example).

This is on an Apple MacBook Air with SSD, and mutt has been configured
with header-cacheing enabled and support for tokyo-cabinet compiled
therein.

For me this is still too slow, but I'm not sure that there's much else
that can be done to improve it.

--

-Nick