I have mutt running on a router ( a RouterStation Pro, to be exact).

Mutt 1.5.20 (2009-06-14)
Copyright (C) 1996-2009 Michael R. Elkins and others.
Mutt comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `mutt -vv'.
Mutt is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `mutt -vv' for details.

System: Linux 2.6.32.27 (mips)
ncurses: ncurses 5.7.20081102 (compiled with 5.7)
Compile options:
-DOMAIN
-DEBUG
-HOMESPOOL  -USE_SETGID  -USE_DOTLOCK  -DL_STANDALONE  +USE_FCNTL  -USE_FLOCK
+USE_POP  +USE_IMAP  -USE_SMTP
+USE_SSL_OPENSSL  -USE_SSL_GNUTLS  -USE_SASL  -USE_GSS  +HAVE_GETADDRINFO
+HAVE_REGCOMP  +USE_GNU_REGEX
+HAVE_COLOR  +HAVE_START_COLOR  +HAVE_TYPEAHEAD  +HAVE_BKGDSET
+HAVE_CURS_SET  +HAVE_META  +HAVE_RESIZETERM
+CRYPT_BACKEND_CLASSIC_PGP  +CRYPT_BACKEND_CLASSIC_SMIME  -CRYPT_BACKEND_GPGME
-EXACT_ADDRESS  -SUN_ATTACHMENT
-ENABLE_NLS  -LOCALES_HACK  +HAVE_WC_FUNCS  +HAVE_LANGINFO_CODESET
+HAVE_LANGINFO_YESEXPR
-HAVE_ICONV  -ICONV_NONTRANS  -HAVE_LIBIDN  +HAVE_GETSID  -USE_HCACHE
-ISPELL
SENDMAIL="/usr/sbin/sendmail"
MAILPATH="/var/mail"
PKGDATADIR="/usr/share/mutt"
SYSCONFDIR="/etc"
EXECSHELL="/bin/sh"
-MIXMASTER

in my /etc/Muttrc:

set index_format="%4C %Z %{%d-%m-%y} %-15.15L (%6c) %s"

on screen, I see things like

 50     21-06-11 Xxxxxx Xxxxxxxx (  1.2K) Xxxxxx xxxx xxxxx
 51     21-06-11 Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (13433K) Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The sizes of messages with mime components (mostly html messages) are
much to big. Given that this is a router, without strace or gdb (well,
they're theoretically available, but I don't have space on my flash to
install them), how can I debug this? Normal commands like ls work
flawlessly and show the proper file sizes. Before I go to the trouble
and cross-compile the latest mutt into a package I can install on this
architecture, I'd like to know if this is some sort of known problem.
I tried searching known bugs in mutt, but found nothing.

Thanks,
Jurriaan