On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 03:04:09AM +0200, lee wrote:
> XeCycle <xecy...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello, I've been using mutt for several months, and I like
>> it.
>>
>> However I'm an Emacs fan, so I tried Gnus, but failed... it
>> really is not a mail client. But Gnus can be easily extended
>> with Emacs Lisp, which is a killer feature compared to mutt.
>
> After using mutt for about 15+ years, I recently switched to gnus. It
> may take some reading of the documentation and some trying to get
> started, and the documentation is a little overwhelming at
> first. Nonetheless I'm finding it extremely worthwhile even though I
> have only just begun to explore the possibilities.
>
> Gnus has one big disadvantage: It can be awfully slow.

Yes... It's more than *awfully* slow. Now I use it as a
newsreader, subscribing several groups at gmane and also
some RSS feeds. Mixing them with mail will probably be even
more slow, which is also a reason for my insisting on mutt.

> Mutt is awesome and totally reliable; gnus is awesome and extremely
> powerful. (I can't tell yet how reliable gnus is.)

Recently I'm also trying Chromium; I use Firefox with
Pentadactyl now. In Chromium, I didn't find anything
comparable to Vimperator/Pentadactyl, but it's much faster
than Firefox. Well, these comparisons are similar.

> One of the things I missed very much with mutt was seamless integration
> with emacs. You can only get pretty close. Since you're an emacs fan,
> you might want to give gnus another, very serious try rather than
> waiting 15 years or so before you switch :)

Thanks for your advice, I will try it if I have the time.

--
Carl Lei (XeCycle)
Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University