XeCycle <xecy...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 03:04:09AM +0200, lee wrote:
>>
>> Gnus has one big disadvantage: It can be awfully slow.
>
> Yes... It's more than *awfully* slow. Now I use it as a
> newsreader, subscribing several groups at gmane and also
> some RSS feeds. Mixing them with mail will probably be even
> more slow, which is also a reason for my insisting on mutt.

So far, I have found only two things gnus is slow with:

* processing incoming email is *awfully* slow

* creating a summary buffer when there are *many* unread messages to
  show

The second one isn't really an issue. The first one is currently very
annoying because I still have a lot of messages that need to be
processed in the process of switching from maildir to nnml --- and
that's mainly my fault because I started doing it the wrong way. Still
that should be much faster. It's not a fair comparison, though, because
it's something mutt doesn't do.

>> Mutt is awesome and totally reliable; gnus is awesome and extremely
>> powerful. (I can't tell yet how reliable gnus is.)
>
> Recently I'm also trying Chromium; I use Firefox with
> Pentadactyl now. In Chromium, I didn't find anything
> comparable to Vimperator/Pentadactyl, but it's much faster
> than Firefox. Well, these comparisons are similar.

Chromium is a MUA? I tried it and found it can't even display PDF
documents and cannot be configured to do anything but display a web
page. It isn't noticeably faster than konqueror (with webkit) or
seamonkey.