On 2012-04-07, Tim Johnson wrote:
> * Gary Johnson [120407 14:07]:
> > What is your 'mbox_type' variable set to?  I had been assuming that
> > yours was set like mine to "mbox".  If 'mbox_type' is set to "mbox",
> > then the mailbox that mutt creates in your example above will be a
> > file named ~/save-thread.txt.
> > >  Clearly I am not using the correct command.
> >
> > I think you're using the right command, but we may have overlooked
> > the effect of the 'mbox_type' variable.
>  <blush> I had set that variable to 'maildir'.
>  Changed as per your instructions, now it is all saved to file.
>  Thanks a lot!

You're very welcome.  It bothered me that we hadn't been able to
resolve that.

>  One more question if I may:
>  Might I expect any changes in mutt's behavior after changing the
>  `mbox_type' variable?

I don't think I can give you a very good answer since I've always
left it set to "mbox".  The mutt manual discusses it in two places.

    6. Mailbox Formats

    Mutt supports reading and writing of four different local
    mailbox formats: mbox, MMDF, MH and Maildir. The mailbox type is
    autodetected, so there is no need to use a flag for different
    mailbox types. When creating new mailboxes, Mutt uses the
    default specified with the $mbox_type variable.

    3.125. mbox_type

    Type: folder magic
    Default: mbox

    The default mailbox type used when creating new folders. May be
    any of ?mbox?, ?MMDF?, ?MH? and ?Maildir?. This is overridden by
    the -m command-line option.

It appears to affect only those mailboxes that you create.  If you
want to save most of your messages in the maildir format but some
threads in the mbox format, you may have to change 'mbox_type' as
needed.  Whenever you save a message to an already-created mailbox,
mutt is supposed to detect the mailbox type so you don't need to
worry about 'mbox_type'.

I don't think there is a way to make it "just work", so that
messages are always saved in maildir mailboxes but threads are saved
in mbox mailboxes, unless perhaps you create a macro for saving
threads.

Regards,
Gary