On 12May2012 19:42, Indulekha <indule...@theunworthy.com> wrote:
| On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 07:29:29PM -0500, Jim Graham wrote:
| > On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 12:22:49AM +0100, Koralatov wrote:
| > >       As for OS X's Unix base: I'm not at all experienced, or even
| > > particularly knowledgeable, about Unix, but it appears pretty intact to
| > > me.  The biggest difference I've discovered from other *nixen is that it's
| > > deprecated cron in favour of launchd.

Yah; in most respects I treat it like a BSD. It has the nicer BSD
ifconfig, and Lion even uses PF for packet filtering. (Haven't got Lion
myself yet.)

| > I suspect I'll still be using cron anyways...I have too much in my
| > crontab, and like Mutt, I'm very comfortable with it.  :-)

It still has con, anyway. It just does a lot of the system stuff with
launchd; your cronning should work fine.

| It's been about 3 years since I used OS X, but it seemed to me there
| were quite a few little annoyances and gotchas for people accustomed to
| BSD and Linux. In fact, I initially nicknamed it "BustedBSD", LOL, but
| fortunately the problems were all relatively simple to overcome.
| iTerm (to replace Terminal.app) was a *very* important upgrade,

Make sure you get iTerm2; iTerm is the older codebase and iTerm2 is a
LOT better.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <c...@zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

ep0: 3c509 in test mode. Erase pencil mark!
   This means that someone has scribbled with pencil in the test area
   on the card. Erase the pencil mark and reboot. (This is not a joke).
        - OpenBSD 2.3 ep(4) ethernet drive manual entry