On 12May2012 20:52, spooky1...@gmail.com <spooky1...@gmail.com> wrote:
| But all of these things aren't so complicated.  The reason for my
| original post in this thread was to see if anything in OS X might
| interfere with using Mutt.  I didn't expect that there would be,
| but I'd hate to try to pull up an xterm and find it missing.  :-)
| (I'm still a command-line guy...reason for running X?  Multiple
| x-terms, multiple desktops,  xbiff, and my freeware Tcl/Tk hurricane
| tracking program, JStrack[1]).

I'm very much a command line guy.

You will want to get the latest X11 server then:

  http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki

You need to reinstall it after MacOSX updates because they unconfigure
it, then relogin (to reload it as the default X11 - happens at Mac
desktop login time).

It will share cut/paste happily with the MacOSX apps.

I run it in shared mode (X11 windows are top level Mac desktop windows
like other apps, though the app is X11 - switching to X11 raises _all_
the X11 windows over the other app windows, and using XQuartz as the
window manager - looks just like any other MacOSX window decoration.)

I do most of my work in MacOSX iTerm2 windows rather than X11 mode (I
use rxvt-unicode when in X11 if I need an X11 terminal). I use the
MacOSX "spaces" facility for multiple desktops (it only goes up to 4x4,
and I miss my infinite desktops setup I use under FVWM). I do turn off
the "when switching to an app, switch to a desktop with its window"
setting in the spaces prefs.

It has a togglable full screen mode too; only X11 visible, as though it
is the whole desktop. Then you'd run a more native X11 window manager.

My GF runs (the MacOSX stock X11) in largely shared mode - X11 windows
(mostly aterms) on the Mac Desktop but using ICEWM for the window
manager.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <c...@zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Uh, this is only temporary...unless it works.   - Red Green