I am running mutt 1.5.21 compiled from the mutt repo (no ports) on
FreeBSD with no trouble.  The parameters I passed to "prepare" are as
follows:

    ./prepare --prefix=/usr/local --enable-locales-fix --disable-fcntl
--enable-hcache --with-libiconv-prefix=/usr/local --with-slang=/usr/local

(I am using slang over ncurses because of weird colour issues I was
getting with curses; that part is optional)

Having said that, I just tried to build mutt from ports using defaults
options (version 1.4.2.3i, curses, not slang; locales fix enabled), and
it displays unicode fine.

If you did want to use 1.5.21, the mutt-devel port is usually
up-to-date.

Did you check your locale settings?  Mine are as follows:

    LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8
    LC_ALL=ja_JP.UTF-8
    LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8

You probably don't want Japanese, but some sort of locale setting with
"UTF-8" in the name ought to do you.  I can confirm these settings are
working on my FreeBSD machine with both the "mutt" and "mutt-devel"
ports, and with my own version compiled from sources.

Hope that helps.

-Dani.

Harald Weis (Mon, Jul 02, 2012 at 11:26:08PM +0200) >>