On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 08:46:59PM +0000, Tony's unattended mail wrote:
> On 2012-11-24, Derek Martin <inva...@pizzashack.org> wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, I said exactly that in another message.  Now generate HTML
> > mail with Mutt.  Plus you still get a lot of folks -- many of whom
> > use GUI clents -- who complain about HTML mail for any number of
> > reasons.  And at least a few of them are legitimately arguable
> > concerns.  A good
> > start:
> >
> >   http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil.shtml
>
> 6/7 of those are good reasons to condemn HTML e-mail with todays tools
> in a hypothetical scenario where tools cannot improve.
[...]
> In principle, none of this rationale is a worthy cause to condemn HTML
> in the body of an e-mail message.  People fail to produce quality
> tools.

Yeah, but in the mean time, the tools are what they are, and we have
work to do.

> There's something to be said for dangerous and unnecessary features
> being excluded from a language to promote the quality tools used for
> the job -- but this does not entail abandoning the /whole/ language.

I agree and I have advocated exactly that for HTML mail on this list
and others, for a very long time.  But see above. :)  You have to get
someone who's of the mind to develop a tool to adopt your new
language, and then you have to get EVERYONE ELSE (or a reasonably
sized subset of them) to adopt it also.  It can be done, but it's
HARD.

-=-=-=-=-