On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 11:27:13AM -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * Jim Graham <spooky1...@gmail.com> [11-29-12 11:16]:

> Perhaps the same as for a hotmail/yahoo/ms/aol/... address.  Years past

Well yeah, I remember those...never used them because I knew they were
useless from day one (except yahoo, before I found out I could get a
non-local ISP e-mail from gmail.  I switched to gmail because Cox kept
losing e-mail left and right.  Spam filters (on Cox) were off, there were
no records of the missing e-mails being filtered out, or anything.  They
just fell off into oblivion.  So my cox.net e-mail went into 100% disuse,
and I switched everything (sendmail and fetchmail) to use gmail instead.

Later,
   --jim

PS:  Oh, btw, I'm not among those "younger readers" you mentioned.
     I've been around and on the Internet (including e-mail) since
     it was still called the Arpanet.  Oh, and there was also Bitnet,
     Archie servers, and of course, Usenet, most of which was in the
     comp.sources.unix heirarchy.

--
THE SCORE:  ME:  2  CANCER:  0
73 DE N5IAL (/4)          | "This 'telephone' has too many