[ Derek Martin Wrote On Fri 30.Nov'12 at 17:17:22 GMT ]

> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 03:23:58PM +0000, Jamie Paul Griffin wrote:
> > There could be any number of reasons why someone might
> > not compose a perfect message: there could be learning difficulties,
> > some other physical impairment, someone very young and new to the
> > concept of technical mailing lists, etc.
>
> And what you generally see, INCLUDING in the case which generated this
> thread, is a great deal of tolerance from the community for such things,
> followed by polite requests to "please follow the local custom."  What
> you saw in this thread, after that polite request, was the violent
> reaction to responses that essentially amounted to "screw the
> convention, I wanna do it my way."

That's unfair. I do not believe I have written anything that amounted to
"screw the convention" as you put it. I have written that I agree with
the convention and have changed my line-wrapping to conform so people
can read my messages more easily. My point was simple - why get so upset
and send unnecessary and overly critical responses over something which
is really just a mistake, on my part. I didn't wrap my lines to 72
comlumns, i'm sorry about that, I will wrap my lines appropriately from
now on and do my best to ensure other formatting conventions are adhered
to. Long lines != the end of the world. Simple as that.