* Will Yardley <mutt-us...@veggiechinese.net> [11-29-12 17:14]:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 03:14:31PM -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> >
> > KMail and Kontact (calendar) integrate fairly well.  Calendars share
> > dates.
>
> That's client software, isn't it?
>
> I'm not talking about client software - I'm talking about the tools to
> build a "Gmail killer", or even an "Exchange killer", including a
> well-made web-based user interface, POP3 and IMAP access, and a backend
> that's scalable horizontally (add more boxes to add more users or
> space). There's nothing really good out there (yes, I'm familiar with
> things like Zimbra and Scalix). Yes, there is enterprise distributed
> storage, but finding a mail server that can fully take advantage of it
> without a lot of extra "glue" is difficult. Yes, there are open source
> calendaring platforms, but their web interfaces are universally
> horrible, and their interaction with common desktop clients and mobile
> clients tends to not be great. And I think part of the apathy is because
> Gmail is doing it so well. Hell, even a lot of systems people I know
> have gone this route for their email.

agreed.

And I am using gmail and google calendar as I can access it via my android
phone, s3, and my desktop, ...   It is handy.

But we have strayed from topic.  Have a good day.

--
(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA      HOG # US1244711
http://en.opensuse.org                           openSUSE Community Member