On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 11:59:55AM -0600, David Young wrote:
> One reason email software is not more useful is that because too many
> smart people wage a losing war on the new, foreign ways of email instead
> of programming filters that transform top-posted, red, 5000-column
> emails to the style of email that they want to read.  That's just sad.

What you do not grasp -- and this is not surprising, many people
do not grasp this -- is that there is a direct causal relationship
between proper netiquette and the usefulness of email.

Let me give you one example, and then suggest, as part of further study,
that you look at the basics of netiquette (such as: never top-posting,
indenting/attributing quotes properly, and so on) that you consider
how each of those has a similar backing rationale -- a rationale which
made sense once upon a time, and still makes sense today.

Let's consider full-quoting.  *Why* does it matter?

Decades ago, when it was first recognized that full-quoting was a terrible
idea, part of that recognition stemmed from the scarcity and expense of
bandwidth and storage.  While some of us were lucky enough to have "fast"
circuits thanks to ARPAnet connections, many others were sending email over
UUCP which in turn was carried over 300/1200 baud dialup connections which
in turn incurred long-distance call charges proportionate to the volume
of traffic.  It was recognized, by thoughful, considerate people who
valued email as a communications medium for all, not just the lucky few,
that the simple courtesy of trimming excess quoted material -- a few
seconds' work for any minimally-competent user -- could and would save
money and time not only for many recipients, but for those handling the
email in transit (neither senders nor recipients) who were generously
contributing some of their scarce resources to facilitate communication.

It was clearly the courteous thing to do, which is why those who failed
to do it were frequently chastised for their discourtesy.

Fast-forward to today.  And while the underlying technologies have
changed, the virtue of frugality hasn't.  Because there are still people
who are on relatively low-bandwidth/high-cost connections, and there
are still people generously contributing their resources to facilitate
third-party email communication.  Moreover, and this is something that
wasn't a concern all those years ago, email is now quite often a conduit
for abuse and attacks (e.g., spam, phish, malware) so there are, as I
presume everyone knows, numerous resources deployed to scrutinize
email messages for those -- and in the case of many, resources used
are proportional to message size. [1]  Consider also -- in the case
of mailing lists -- the archives.  Both their size and their suitability
for search indexing are adversely affected by excessive and incorrect
quoting. [2]  Consider also the situation of those who are, unfortunately,
saddled with email storage quotas. [3]  Consider also...ah, but by now,
the thoughtful reader will already be enumerating his/her own list
of instances where excessive quoting has a direct, if small, impact
on the usefulness of email as a communications medium.

In other words, all these years later, bandwidth and storage and human
time *still* matter.  In different ways, of course, but not everyone is
so lucky as to have mail accounts without quotas, terabytes of backing
storage, plenty of free/cheap bandwidth, and lots of free time.

Those who do should always be mindful of those who don't.

Now there will be people who will observe that the aggregate cost of
all this may be tiny.   And that the inconvenience to users they will
never meet (that is: by wasting their valuable personal and professional
time by forcing them to scroll through excess quoted material over and
and over and over again) is of no concern.

Perhaps in some cases the cost IS tiny.  But the aggregate total
over all email messages is enormous.  Exercise for the reader: go
through the last month's traffic on *this* list.  Trim out all the
excess quoted material.  Compare size to original.  Calculate difference
in bandwidth charges for someone reading their email on a mobile device
connected to a service which charges by-the-byte. [4]

And as to the inconvenience to users they will never meet, there is
no way to truly quantify that.  Nor is there any way to compel senders
to take it into consideration -- except to appeal to their basic
human decency, and ask that they THINK about the many recipients of
their messages...and put their situations, needs, resources, time
ahead of their own.  The few seconds that it takes any competent email
user to trim quoted material is a small thing compared to the large
amount of aggregate time spent by recipients scrolling through it...again.
And again.  And again.

We call that consideration "courtesy".  And being courteous to people you
will never meet, for that matter, people whose existence you may never
even be aware of (because they lurk on a mailing list and never post)
is one of the cornerstones of netiquette.

---rsk

[1] This should not be taken as tacit approval for such techniques.
I've written elsewhere, at great length, about why I think that content
scanning is a terrible idea.  But my opinion aside, it's obviously
quite common and much of the software used runs in O(n) or greater.

[2] A back-of-the-envelope quality study of a dozen quasi-randomly
selected mailing lists suggests that those where excessive quoting
is common have archives approximately an order of magnitude larger
than they need be, with corresponding effects on space requirements,
server bandwidth, and search accuracy.

[3] I consider email quotas to be a worst practice in email system
engineering, but just as in [1], my opinion aside, they are obviously
quite common.

[4] Not everyone is so fortunate as to have other options.