* Derek Martin <inva...@pizzashack.org> [02-27-13 15:45]:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 03:13:43PM -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
 [...]
> > While you disagree with my "general" and "incomplete" statement, I do
> > agree with you that there are times when a private reply is prudent
>
> Fair enough, but I'll just say that I make the distinction because
> there exist such people that believe that policy should be enforced,
> and specifically FORCED, by adding a reply-to header that points back
> to mailing lists (as you well know).  I don't normally like to make
> unequivocal statements about things that are opinions, but this is a
> case where these people are just plain WRONG.  The reason doing this
> is wrong is because:
>
> 1. It creates a policy whereby it is assumed that all users are not
>    smart enough to figure out for themselves what kind of reply is
>    desired/optimal (though sadly, in some cases that turns out to be
>    true).
>
> 2. Doing so makes it next to impossible to reply privately when you
>    know you actually want that.
>
> Most clients automanaiacally follow Reply-To if it is present, in
> which case the author of such a response will have to manually edit
> the recipient list, which on some clients may involve aborting the
> reply to get back to the messge view to find what the sender's address
> actually is.
>
> If you've ever had to do this, you know it's tedious and annoying.
> Mutt is the only client I know of that gives you a choice in the
> matter, via the $reply-to variable.  Though, it's been a long while
> since I used Pine, that may have a similar option that I've forgotten.

Then there is *little* we disagree with in this scope.  I am *against*
"Reply-To:" mudging by list software and believe it should *only* be
employed by a poster wishing replies to his posts to be rec'd by a
different account such as posting from work and wanting receipt at home.
And is mostly a crutch for unknowning/unable individuals to control their
email environment and probably do not even know about "Reply-To:".

My current mailing system exists on a remote machine which I ssh into for
mail access and other functions.  I maintain tmux sessions containing
email, photo galeries, remote access to other machines, etc., which I can
access via ssh from nearly any machine which has a usb port.

--
(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA      HOG # US1244711
http://en.opensuse.org                           openSUSE Community Member