Hi,

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 01:24:44PM -0600, Will Fiveash wrote:
> I have a couple of comments about this:
>
> - Why sign most messages?  Unless the information is important for
>   others to verify that it came from a particular person why add the
>   bloat of a signature.  Beyond this I find it ironic that people sign
>   e-mail with a private key where its public key isn't found on a
>   standard PGP/GPG keyserver like pgp.mit.edu or kerckhoffs.surfnet.nl.

The point is - if you have no policy what to sign anyone could make up a
message of yours and claim it wasnt signed. I can claim i have not sent
a single unsigned message since '98 or something, be it private or
work.

Signing a mail might be a good hint for HAM detection but thats going to
far.

> - If one is concerned enough about allowing others to verify the
>   integrity of a message shouldn't this concern also extend to
>   attachments which are a classic attack vector?

I my wet dreams i' encrypting every single message. But mutt is not very
helpful in this. Yes - it can encrypt but i'd like mutt to decide
automatically when it's capable of encrypting the mail (remember
multiple To:, Cc:, Bcc). It would be okay to encrypt a mail if i have a
key for all recipients.

If not a nice way would be if mutt splits the mail into an encrypted one
for all recipients i have a key for, and an unencrypted one for all i
have no key.

In times where all countrys try to get hold of your communication data
it is best to try to encrypt all your communication - be it in transit
or stored.

Its all there: Encrypted filesystems be it truecrypt or dm-crypt, in
transit e.h. ssh, smtp with STARTTLS, imaps and gnupg for your mails.

Signing a mail is a sign of - i'd like to get all mails encrypted - this
is the key i am using.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                 f...@zz.de