On 04/09/13 02:37, James Griffin wrote:
> ................Mon  8.Apr'13 at  8:55:16 -0600 Nicolas
> Bock................
>> Hi all,
>>
>> that makes a lot of sense. I just double checked with TB and yes,
>> it is basically the same speed. Synchronizing the headers takes
>> forever :)
>>
>> I will have to start labelling emails much more aggressively,
>> thanks for the tip!
>>
>> nick
>>

>> On Sat, Apr 06, 2013 at 11:31:53AM +0200, Jonny Oschätzky wrote:
>>> Hi Nick,

>>> I can confirm this.
>>>
>>> If you have a big mailbox (my "All Mail" contains ~150,000
>>> messages), then the Google IMAP server is very slow. I've
>>> checked this with Thunderbird and the result is mostly the
>>> same. TB opens the box very fast and then it takes a long time
>>> to update the header cache.
>>>
>>> The IMAP protocol itself causes this, because it needs to
>>> synchronize the folder. The bigger a folder is the longer this
>>> process takes.
>>>
>>> I solved this problem for me with offlineimap and archivemail.
>>> I don't need the All Mail folder since I use labels for all my
>>> stuff and mailing lists. So it results in different Maildirs on
>>> my PC which are synchronized by offlineimap in the background.
>>> Older mail is archived by archivemail in gzipped mboxes. That
>>> works great. :)
>>>
>>> Jonny
>>>

> Purely just out of curiosity, why would you need to keep such a
> high number of email? Is this something quite common (at risk of
> sounding a bit stupid)? I just can't imagine ever keeping that much
> email in my account.

That's a good question. The thing is that since Google's webinterface
makes searching for messages and opening folders so painless it never
occurred to me that that's a large number. Only after I started
becoming a little bit more paranoid somewhat recently and attempted to
back up my emails and set up gpg, did I start to understand that there
are limitations with this amount of data.

So I take it that you simply delete old emails? Or do you have some
archiving protocol?

nick