On 2013-04-13, James Griffin <j...@kontrol.kode5.net> wrote:
> ................Wed 10.Apr'13 at 14:25:10 +0000 Grant Edwards................
>> On 2013-04-10, James Griffin <j...@kontrol.kode5.net> wrote:
>>
>> > Well, yes I do have an archiving system but really i'm only interested
>> > in keeping my University mail and a few interesting mails from mailing
>> > lists that I know i will want to refer back to but I ensure the mail I
>> > want to keep is flagged and archived monthly (usually) and so keeps my
>> > current mailbox usage free from large amounts of it.
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by "current mailbox usage", but we're not
>> talking about keeping thousands of e-mails in an inbox.  Google's All
>> Mail "folder" is an archive, not a mailbox that you actually use
>> regularly.
>
> Current mailbox usage in terms of the mailboxes I use, as opposed to
> those I don't; such as the spam mailbox or archives.

With that definition, "All Mail" wouldn't be part of your "current
malbox usage".  IOW, our "current mailbox usage" probably doesn't have
any more messages than yours does.  It's just that my archived
messages are online, in an IMAP "mailbox", where I can open them with
mutt if I choose to.  I generally don't, because it's usually easier to
use the online search tools when I have to do e-mail archeology.

> When using mutt with gmail imap and having these number of mails slows
> it up, uses more bandwidth, etc.

It doesn't slow up normal usage or impact bandwidth.  "All Mail" is an
archive.  It's not a mailbox that you regulary use.

> As I said, I was just curious to know why one would want to keep such
> large numbers of email. So thanks, it's merely a case of not wanting
> be bothered with the extra steps required to delete old mail.

That, and the fact that "All Mail" is intended to be an archive, not a
mailbox that you actually use/open as part of your normal routine.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! We just joined the
                                  at               civil hair patrol!