On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 07:06:32AM -0600, Nicolas Bock wrote:
When I delete, that is move a message to the [Gmail]/Trash folder,
then sometimes mutt tells me that there are "no visible messages", and
the INBOX folder is basically closed. I have to reopen it. But I can't
find any error or warning in the log files. I will attempt a backtrace
when this happens again.

Can you tell me a little more detail about what you are doing when this occurs? Off the top of my head, I can see the situation you describe arising when you either have no other messages in the mailbox, or you have used the 'limit' command and delete all matching messages.