I understand your concerns about this but I don't think you'll find it a
problem in the long run.  I occasionally hit the wrong key and there is always
a way of undoing what I've done (aside from saying 'no' when Mutt actually asks
me if I really want to do something, which personally I like).  Shift-W let's
me unclear a flag I've accidentally set and ctrl-c ('do you want to exit
mutt?') gets me out of any other situation (just remember to type n(o) when it
asks).  There will be other more sophisticated ways of getting out of certain
situations, but for me these two work and are enough.  As to all the other
key-bound functions, it doesn't matter that you don't use them.  It's a big
tool box and over the time I've used Mutt I've learned to use some of the tools
when I've felt the need to do something (limit patterns for example). I think
you might be throwing the baby out with the bathwater if you disable all the
keybindings as then you may need to work out how to reinstate some function or
other when you feel the need to use it.

I'd say stick with Mutt as it is, I did, and in a few weeks time I think you'll
find that the keybinding thing is a non-issue.  Just my thoughts. Whatever you
choose to do, once you get used to it, it's the best email client out there
IMHO (apart from when I get those pesky complex html messages and have to use
the Gmail web interface!).

--
Dr Martin Orwin
Senior Lecturer in Somali and Amharic