* On 27 Feb 2014, Sebastian Tramp wrote:
> Hi mutt users,
>
> is it possible to create mulitpart/alternative message parts in the compose
> screen?

This patch adds what you need:
https://bitbucket.org/dgc/mutt-dgc/raw/42d6f8d629ad3f0ceb7f4790013d3cec665d0df6/dgc.groupalts

The <group-alternatives> binding for the componse menu (where you press
's' to send) combines selected attachments into a multipart/alternative
group.  The <move-up> and <move-down> bindings then allow you to change
their order.

> There exists some post send filter to achieve this but they do not work in
> combination with encryption (and I do not have the sent copy in my archive)
>
> Another idea: Is it possible to put the complete message to a tool from the
> compose screen (which can parse and change it completely) and re-read it
> afterwards? I thinks is would allow a lot of other feature too.

I don't know offhand how you would generate the content.  MIME is not
that hard to write if you know the structure, but I don't know a tool
off the top of my head that will generate it for you.  However, if you
have one: a trick I have used for things of this flavor is to:

        * postpone the message
        * open your postponed folder as a regular mutt mailbox
        * find the postponed message
        * edit the raw mesage
        * save
        * sync
        * recall the postponed message
        * finish and send

(It's not as hard as it looks on paper.  Usually I do this when I find
I've written a trmendously long message and I want to split it into
two messages.  In that case, after editing the message I exit without
syncing in order to preserve both copies of the original, then I recall
and send each copy.)

--
David Champion • d...@bikeshed.us