On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 01:10:33PM +0100, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 11:24:57AM +0100, Alexander Huemer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 11:01:23AM +0100, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
> > > Lately I've been trying out gnome 3 in debian. I usually work without
> > > a desktop environment with just openbox and a bunch of xterms.
> > >
> > > Gnome, it seems, is a utf-8 environment, whereas I usually work in
> > > iso-8859-1 (latin1).
> >
> > Well, did you check the used locale in your shell session?
>
> Here are the relevant settings:
>
>       LC_TIME=en_IE.utf8
>       LC_MONETARY=en_IE.utf8
>       TERM=xterm
>       GDM_LANG=en_IE.utf8
>       LANG=en_IE.utf8
>       GDMSESSION=gnome
>       LC_MEASUREMENT=en_IE.utf8
>       XTERM_LOCALE=en_IE.utf8
>       LC_NUMERIC=en_IE.utf8
>       XTERM_VERSION=XTerm(303)
>       LC_PAPER=en_IE.utf8
>       EDITOR=/usr/bin/vim
>
> Also I tried adding "set encoding=utf-8" to my .vimrc without change.
>
> Attached are two screenshots that illustrate the problem:
>
> - mutt pager view where the word "présenter" appears fine:
>
>       http://flavius.apartia.fr/stuff/mutt_utf.png
>
> - vim view when replying where "présenter" is messed up:
>
>       http://flavius.apartia.fr/stuff/vim_utf.png

I am not sure whether this is the right ML for your questions.
This seems like a general locale problem, nothing that is specific to
mutt.
Posting just the environment variables of the non-working environment
isn't so useful. Post both.
Is the behavior the same when you use $(cat)?

Kind regards,
-Alex