On 2014-03-20, Derek Martin wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 11:01:23AM +0100, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
> > In gnome when I reply some french emails with accented chars I
> > sometimes get weird wide chars in place of the accented characters in
> > vim. The accented character would appear normally when reading the
> > message in mutt's pager but become a double character in vim's quoted
> > text.

> We know this:
>  - Your locale looks fine
>  - as it happens the encoding you set in vim should match
>  - Characters display correctly in the pager

It would be useful to know the value of 'fileencoding' in Vim as
well.  'encoding' is the encoding used internally by Vim.
'fileencoding' is the encoding used when writing a buffer out to a
file.  Check the results of this:

    :verbose enc? fenc?

It could also be that this Vim was not compiled with multibyte
support.  You can check this by executing ":version" and looking for
the + or - in front of "multi_byte".

HTH,
Gary