OK I did an experiment and it worked. When you open mutt it shows the
index view and that displays the default bindings that Michael Kaiser
asked about. If we change the default bindings in /etc/Muttrc or
~/.muttrc then the top line should alter as requested.

I only have access to a Windows 7 pc at the moment so I got a copy of
win32mutt (i.e. mutt-1.4) and put these two commands at the bottom of
/etc/Muttrc

bind index x quit
bind index q help

Now on launching mutt the top of line of the display shows:
x:Quit d:Del ....

The first bind command does not work on its own as that leaves q still
functioning correctly. Now I feel like a smart-alec.