On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 03:08:58PM +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> > Iiuc, the "comment" pertains to the "comment" rather than the
> > "syntax of send hook", ie: correct usage of the English "written"
> > word.
>
> I believe he understood that and was making a joke, i.e. in English
> should the single quotes be escaped then.
>
> At least I laughed. :)

Indeed, as did I! :)

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 01:20:32AM -0400, Mark Filipak wrote:
>  On Sat,May 10 06:49:PM, Derek Martin wrote:
> > Mostly I reply here due to a curiosity:  Why is "'messed'" in single
> > quotes here?  I see people do this increasingly often, and I don't get
> > why.
>
> Are you a coder, Derek? I use single-quotes when I'm coding because it's
> faster; I don't have to hit the shift key. Perhaps the objectionable
> text you saw came from a coder.

I am a coder, but this is English text, not code. :)  But more to the
point:  The variant of quotes is not what I was commenting on so much
as the fact that they were used at all, when there was no compelling
reason to do so.

And don't get me wrong... I don't expect that people will always post
proper formal English (of whichever variant they speak).  I wasn't
picking on Guy's English per se... Really I was commenting on the
increasing prevalence of this odd usage.  It's almost as bad as adding
apostrophes for plurals or third-person present tense verbs (e.g.
"apostrope's" instead of "apostrophes" or "He let's his dog out" vs.
"He lets his dog out.").

And also FWIW, the one thing I was quite serious about was having had
too much rum.  =8^)

-=-=-=-=-