On 2014/5/12 7:58 PM, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 01:48:48PM +0200, Suvayu Ali wrote:
>> On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 01:12:54AM -0400, Mark Filipak wrote:
>>> On 2014/5/11 11:08 PM, Chris Bannister wrote:
>>> -snip-
>>>
>>> I'm sorry, but as an American I have to come out of lurk mode for this...
>>>
>>> What you tried to write, Chris, refers to those "who speak" in the
>>> nominative case. The phrase at the end of your sentence should therefore
>>> begin "we", not "us". May I suggest "we who speak proper English!"
>>> instead of "us people who speak the proper English!"
>>
>> Maybe all that is missing is a comma?
>>
>>   ".. imposing (or has imposed) on us, people who speak the proper
>>   English!"
>>
>> ;)
>
> That part was meant as bit of a joke. I thought about it when I wrote it
> and had visions of Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbett talking over a cup
> of tea. :)
>
> Although, I still wonder why American English *HAS* to be different! The
> phrase "only in America!" springs to mind here.

So, my assumption was correct. You are from the olde country.

I listen to the BBC almost all the time. I think the hosts butcher
English as thoroughly as the average American. If you disagree, it's
just another indication that a fox smells it own hole. There once was a
time when "BBC English" was a positive appellation.

"The proper English"? I thought only Romanians spoke like that.