On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 04:33:19PM -0500, Derek Martin wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 20, 2014 at 04:57:15AM +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:

> > > No one said it was hard... most of the things you pay someone else
> > > to do aren't (though some definitely are).

> > Well, if you can afford your own Gardener all the better.
>
> You're focused on ONE MINISCULE ASPECT of the problem, which is a
> negligible fraction of the total.  As such, your points don't have any
> real impact on the discussion.  Come back when you're:

>  - Not ever getting your food from grocery stores/restaurants, AND
[...]
Agreed.

We have a vegetable garden, and it involves quite a bit of time (and
some amount of money as well). With two raised beds, we do produce some
useful and delicious vegetables, but we are nowhere near at the point
where we could live off of food we produce year-roung. And we live in
California, with a fairly temperate climate year-round, and own a house
with a backyard, which is not the case for a lot of folks.

I think there is a middle ground between supporting huge agribusiness
and growing / producing / foraging all of your own food, which is
difficult or impossible for many.