On Tue, Nov 04, 2014 at 12:45:37AM -0500, DaleKelly wrote:
> for SMTPs and POPs?

Maybe. SASL is a wrapper so that your email client can present your login
credentials to your email server using encryption.

Loosely (no pun intended) SSL is a wrapper around the emails your client
sends so that only you and the mail server can see the contents.

You usually don't have to use SSL but of course it is a good idea to use it
whenever you can.

> SSL seems to go through the motions in mutt
>
> but SASL
> SASL authentication failed
>
> have
> set from = "d...@dalekelly.org"
> set realname = "Dale"
> set pop_pass="pass"
> set pop_user="user"

Likely should be

set pop_user=u...@mail.server.com

In other words your real email address.

> set pop_host=pops://u...@pop.secureserver.net:995

This may work but in my configs I don't specifiy the user,

set pop_host=pops:://pops.your.server

> set smtp_url=smtps://u...@smtpout.secureserver.net:465

Should not be necessary to specify the port :465 but otherwise looks ok.

> set smtp_user="user"

This is not a valid variable in mutt and is not needed. The smtp_url has
your userid specified.

> set smtp_pass="pass"

This is needed.

> I get
> Error in /home/dale/.muttrc, line 348: smtp_user: unknown variable
> when I set smtp user to
> set smtp_user="user"
> if I comment it out, I just get
> SASL authentication failed
>
> do I need to configure SASL?

No. There is a problem in one or more of the variables where you specify
your login credentials. Please go over the examples carefully. Mutt's syntax
appears to be non-uniform and that could be confusing.

> no error on
> set pop_user="user"

You can set it to whatever you want but that doesn't mean it will work ;-)

Try set pop_user=you@real.email

/jl

--
ASCII ribbon campaign ( ) Powered by Lemote Fuloong
 against HTML e-mail   X  Loongson MIPS and OpenBSD