On 26Apr2015 20:06, martin f krafft <madd...@madduck.net> wrote:
also sprach Cameron Simpson <c...@zip.com.au> [2015-04-26 12:26 +0200]:
My mailcap makes apphelper the handler for most file types, and
supplies apphelper the default "end" viewer. Apphelper runs the
viewer (asking first by default) and offers to save the file, and
accepts "!shell command" at its prompts.

Basicly, apphelper is the save/view/whatever dialogue I wish all
programs had:-)

This still won't solve my problem. I don't want to choose the viewer
every time. I always want the default, unless I press a different
button, e.g. 'e' instead of '<return>'.

From the man page:

 Apphelper first asks whether to view the file, offering the
 supplied view command in [square brackets] as the default.  Pressing
 return or entering "y" or "yes' accepts this default and runs the
 viewer.  Entering "n" or "no" skips running the viewer.  Other
 answers are taken to be the name (and optional arguments) of a
 viewing program.

Superficially that sounds like exactly what you're asking for.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@zip.com.au>