On Sat, Jun 20, 2015 at 08:25:39PM +1000, Erik Christiansen wrote:
> On 19.06.15 17:11, David Champion wrote:

> > Are we really going to do this?
>
> ISTM that you're painting it more complex than the reality. It is easier
> than the above with the original simpler presentation, where each
> attribution begins at the top of its own '>' column. There is then no
> more effort than following a straight vertical line directly to the
> author.

Yes, but most people don't use SuperCite, so once some more people
respond to a message, you could end up with a
jumble more like:

 >> Humpbert> blah blah. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. I
 >> Humpbert> think that now is the time.
 >>
 >> Jane> I think something else.
 >>
 >> Some text here
 >
 > etc. etc.

I haven't used it myself, but seems like there are some corner cases
that I imagine would also present problems, such as when someone doesn't
provide a full name, or when more than one person being quoted has the
same name.

Overall, I just think it's rude to use a style of quoting that's
non-standard, because once you end up with nested quotes and so on, it
can be a giant mess. The conventional way of quoting works fine *if*
people trim and attribute correctly.

In terms of how quoted material is *rendered* within a MUA, that's a
different issue, and especially with format=flowed text that's properly
encoded, I could see arguments for making the display view (not the
editor view) use, say, solid vertical lines, as some GUI mailers do.