On Sat, Jun 20, 2015 at 08:49:36PM +1000, Erik Christiansen wrote:
> form. If it is the:
>
> "Ian> .....
>  Herbet> ... "
>
> form, than that's no harder than following a straight line. I've never
> heard of that being deprecated, though I've only encountered it rarely
> in list posts.

Actually, that can be ambiguous.  For example:

Herbet> ...
Herbet> ...

Is the second "Ian>" line a response to the first "Herbet>" line, or
did Herbet reply to two different parts of the same message from Ian,
trimming Ian's message in the normal way, and quoting only what he
wanted to reply to for context?  And if it was the former, was the
second "Herbet>" line a response to the second "Ian>" line, or a
continuation of his response to the first "Ian>" line, or something
else entirely?  Proper use of attributions and quoting in the more
common way makes this all clear.

--
This address uses a whitelist.  If you aren't in my whitelist, you can
only send me e-mail if you send to an appropriately tagged address (it