* Ian Zimmerman <i...@buug.org> [2015-07-21 13:49]:
> On 2015-07-21 12:50 -0400, Peter P. wrote:
>
> > I am sending mails using msmtp (msmtp-queue, to be exact). In the
> > "References:" field of emails that I send back to mailing list using
> > list-reply, I notice that the hostname of my local box is inserted, and
> > would prefer to keep it out of there. I am not sure if this a mutt or an
> > msmtp issue, please excuse me if this is inappropriate here.
> > Does anyone know of a way to suppress the own boxes hostname from that
> > field in replies sent to lists?
>
> The References header field is not free form: its meaning and syntax is
> specified by RFC 2822.  Bascially, mutt has no choice in the matter, if
> it wants to stay standard conforming.
>
> You probably have asked the wrong question, and what you really want is
> to change the Message-ID header of you outgoing emails.
Thank you Ian! The manpage for muttrc mentions that setting
$hostname
affects the Message-ID, and I just verified that it does.

Am I then right to assume that References: header fileds are derived
from Message-IDs, and that by setting $hostname should hence be the
solution to my problem? I will try to find out.

> You can do that
> with the regular mutt my_hdr mechanism, although the manual warns
> against it, and it is a bit tricky as I discovered myself.  Here's 2
> lines from my muttrc:
>
> send-hook . "my_hdr Message-ID: <\`mutt-message-id\`>"
> send2-hook . "my_hdr Message-ID: <\`mutt-message-id\`>"
>
> Here mutt-message-id is a script that generates the ID in a format I
> like.  (But be very sure that the ID you generate is unique and conforms
> to the standard.  You really need to read RFC 2822 if you do this.)
>
> _Both_ lines are necessary to override the mutt-generated ID in all cases.
Thank you for pointing out your way of doing it! This is much
appreciated!

best, Peter